V(c) PROVINCIAL/NATIONAL CHORAL REGULATIONS
The competition will be conducted at two progressive levels:
Adjudicators at the local festival may choose, in each of the defined Choral categories, one choir which is felt to be of Provincial standard. The written recommendation shall be sent to the Provincial Registrar by May 15th.
Adjudicators at the Provincial festival may choose, in each category submitted, one choir which is felt to be of National standard. The written recommendation shall be sent to the Executive Director of the Federation of Canadian Music Festivals by registered mail not later than June 20th.
Note: Choirs submitting recordings to the Provincial level of competition must perform the same selections on which they were recommended by the adjudicator at the Local level. Please note that the definition of the term ‘selection’ for choral classes is “one piece of music by a composer, and not two or more short pieces from a collection, cycle or larger work”.
- Participation is limited to amateur Canadian choirs, performing in the appropriate class(es) at affiliated festivals.
- A choir may enter only one choral class between #102 and #110 at the National level. They may enter class #101 [Glee/Show/Musical Groups] as well.
- Only selections performed, adjudicated and recommended from Local and Provincial Festivals are acceptable.
- The Competition is based on the performance of TWO CONTRASTING SELECTIONS, only one of which may include brief solo or solo ensemble passages. Please note that the definition of the term ‘selection’ for choral classes is “one piece of music by a composer and not two or more short pieces from a collection, cycle or larger work”.
- The total number of bars of the solo or solo ensemble passage[s] must not exceed 10% of the total length of the selection.
- These classes are open to equal and/or mixed voices.
- Ages are determined as of December 31 preceding the festival.
CHORAL RECORDING REGULATIONS
- A Festival official must supervise and witness the recording of the performance of choirs recommended for Provincial/National competitions.
- Only MP3 recordings are acceptable formats for the submission of choral entries.
- Class 101 [Glee choir] requires a video recording submitted by link to a private YouTube channel.
- Recordings must be completed with the same choir, conductor, accompanist, and accompaniment as in the original local performance. The recording must be one take.
- No acoustic or electronic compensation, filtering, or other enhancement is to be used while [or post] recording.
- Recordings and music scores should contain no reference to the name of the choir, its conductor or the Festival from which it has been sent.
- All copyrights regarding music must be observed.
- Recorded Choral entries must be submitted by completing the provided online submission form before the entry deadline. Submission materials will include:
- The recordings for each selection
- A clear, scanned copy of each score [including a picture of the cover, receipt for digital purchase or proof of Public Domain]
- A short biography of the choir, group photo, waiver, and media contacts